The history of Wiener Kaffeehäuser (Viennese Cafes) dates back to the end of the seventeenth century and is strongly tied to the Turkish siege. From 1803 to 1813, the tradition of the Wiener Kaffeehaus faced a difficult challenge when Napoleon enacted the Continental Blockade to hinder trade with England. The duty on coffee beans became so high that no cafe owner could afford them. When Austria joined the embargo in 1808, the Wiener Kaffeehäuser were on the brink of ruin. During that critical period, Wiener Kaffeehäuser were allowed for the first time to serve their exclusively male clientele wine and hot meals, giving rise to the Wiener Kaffee-Restaurant. It was not until 1856 that the Wiener Kaffeehäuser opened their doors to women. Towards the end of the nineteenth century, Wiener Kaffeehäuser were like those of today, providing a pleasant spot to meet with friends, as well as a place for discussing and negotiating business. The beloved Wiener Kaffeehaus, with its long tradition, came to be viewed as a mecca for gathering, as is evident in the many photos dating from approximately 1860.
In 1956, both traditional and modern Viennese cafes joined forces to create the Viennese Cafe Owners Association. One of the association’s main purposes is to represent itself and its members in dealing with the media and market players, as well as maintaining and promoting the tradition of Wiener Kaffeehauskultur (Viennese Cafe Culture).
The Cafe Owners Association (Wiener Kaffeehausbesitzer) is devoted primarily to promoting cultural projects in cafes. One of the association’s main tasks, in addition to representing itself and its members in dealing with the media, public administration and market players, is to organize the Vienna Cafe Owners Ball.
Since 2013, Hausbrandt has been a promoting partner of the Vienna Cafe Owners Association and the Vienna Cafe Owners Ball.